Staying more days before or after the retreat?
If you arrive in Lima prior to the retreat may we suggest two comfortable hostals in Miraflores. Both have transportation service from and to the airport (12 US$) and online booking. The cost of a single room is around 30 US$.
Porta 686, Miraflores
Phone: (511) 242-0505
Hotel El Ducado
Juan Fanning 337, Miraflores
Phone: (511) 447-1919
Visit Best of Cusco for a complete reference of good recommendations around Cusco and the Sacred Valley.
Also, if you are planning on staying some days before or after the retreat in Cusco, we can recommend some hotels near the Main Plaza and San Blas.
Garcilazo 256, Cusco.
Phone: (5184) 264249
Hostal Rumi Punku
Choquechaca 339, Cusco
Phone: (5184) 22-1102
If you choose to stay in Pisaq, you can stay at Melissa Wasi, in nearby accomodations or in the town of Pisaq.
- Rooms for 40 US$ per person, including breakfast.
- Simple rooms next to the temple for 50 soles, not including breakfast but complete shared bathroom and kitchen. No camping options.
If you want to go to Pisaq town (2 km) you can call a taxi (S/. 5 soles ride) or take a 15 minute walk.
The cost of the taxi from Cusco to Pisaq (40 min) is aprox S./ 50 soles (20 US$). Do not pay more.
If you want to visit Machu Picchu you can go from Pisaq or Cusco on a two-day, one night trip. The train to MacchuPicchu departs from Cusco so you can either:
- Go to Cusco the last day of the retreat and take the train the next morning.
- Take a taxi (US$25 aprox.) from Pisaq to Ollantaytambo and take the train there on the same day.
In both cases the train goes to the town of Aguas Calientes where you can spend the night and visit MacchuPicchu the next morning and return on the same day.
If you would like to do some outdoor trekking, or adventure hikes, river rafting or horse riding, you can contact a travel agency to help you organize a tour or excursion after the retreat.
Phone: (5184) 977-0108
Specialists in adventure tours.
In preparation for this profound experience we have to prepare both physically and psychologically. We recommend the participants considerably reduce the eating of meat (especially pork), salt, sugar, and chili in order to prepare to receive the Ayahuasca. Abstain from drinking alcohol and other substances which clouds your consciousness.
During the retreat a complete sexual abstinence is mandatory with the purpose of keeping available our vital energy for the experience.
As a psychological preparation we recommend doing some type of contemplative practices such as meditation or yoga, that bring us moments of reflection about our upcoming transcendental experience.
It is not necessary to have any vaccines to travel to Puerto Maldonado or Cusco. Many countries recommend it as a precautionary measure but in the last eight years there has been no report of malaria or yellow fever in these areas. Moreover the malaria pills have unpleasant side effects on the body.
We are at 2,800 m. (9,500 ft high) so the air is cool and dry during the night and sunny during the day.
- Bring warm clothes for the evenings.
- Bring a hat, sun block and lip balm.
- Bring rain poncho if you are coming during the rainy season (Dec – Feb).
- Only drink bottled water. You can buy it everywhere.
- Dollar exchange rate: US$ 1 (American dollars) = S./2.5 (soles).
- There is an ATM machine available in Pisaq town.
- Credit cards are normally accepted in hotels, restaurants, and stores in the city of Cusco and Lima but not in Pisaq.
- Electricity: 220 volts.
In Lima be careful with your personal belongings, camera, video and personal stuff because pickpocket theft is frequent. If possible do not go out with valuable things.